Thursday 1 August 2013

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins


Muffins are an absolute staple in our household. I've found they are about the only thing I can guarantee my toddler will eat on any given day! My mum used to bake muffins a lot too, and the Alison Holst Marvellous Muffins cookbook was the go to for recipes. 

My son's favourite are the Double Chocolate Muffins. We always have a supply of these in the freezer. I make mine in mini muffin tins and can get 3 or 4 dozen from the recipe- depending on how generous I'm feeling! Maybe not the healthiest option but delicious all the same!


Double Chocolate Muffins
(adapted from Alison Holst's Marvellous Muffins book)

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa

100g butter
1 egg
1 cup yoghurt (any flavour works, I've tried lemon, mixed berry but usually use plain greek)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips

Method

Sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl.

Melt the butter, add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. 

Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix until flour is just damp, but the mixture is not smooth. (If you know Alison Holst's cooking well, you will know this is her "thing" about making great muffins, don't over mix!) 

Divide the mixture into tins (any size you have). I always give mine a spray with non-stick cooking spray first. 

Bake at 200 degrees C for 10-12 minutes until the tops spring back when pressed lightly. 

A note about the chocolate chips: The recipe advises to sprinkle them on top just before baking, but I like to mix them in with the dry ingredients for extra crunch and flavour!





No comments:

Post a Comment