Wednesday 20 November 2013

Midweek Meal: Chinese Chow Mein Rice


I would like to preempt this post by saying that 1. I am definitely not a food photographer (I took all these pics on my phone while I was cooking!) and 2. I realise this is probably the furtherest recipe away you can get for an authentic Chow Mein, but this is the name I made up, so I'm going with it!




When I was a child, my mum used to make a very similar meal to this using a packet of chicken noodle soup, and then the piece de resistance was raisins (YUCK!) added in at the end. She named it Chow Mein mince or something similar. I actually really liked it apart from the raisins! So I think that had something to do with me making up this recipe!

I guess it was one of those nights where we hadn't planned what to have for dinner and all we had in the cupboard was a box of Rice Risotto, and some beef mince. I had the great idea of putting them both together and adding a few veges to keep it a bit healthy and also make it go a bit further. This meal can easily feed four or more people or freeze for another dinner (it freezes really well). It's also a great throw together meal to make for other people as a different option to the standard lasagne! 


Ingredients



1 box of diamond Rice Risotto, Chinese Flavour
500g premium beef mince
2 cups mixed vegetables of your choice fresh or frozen



Method:



1. Make the Risotto as per the instructions on the box. 





2. While the risotto is simmering and cooking, brown the mince in a separate fry pan. Drain off excess fat as it cooks. 




3. Cook the veges. Either microwave, boil or stir fry- whichever suits your vegetable mix. I used microwave as I use a frozen mix. 





4. Add the cooked mince and vegetables to the rice. Mix until you have a nice even mixture. 




Eat and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment