Monday 9 December 2013

Triple Berry Blondie (Brownie)



Here's an easy recipe when you want something sweet for an afternoon tea or dessert, but don't want to go to the effort of making a cake. 

This recipe I made up as an adaption from the Edmonds Illustrated Cookbook. If you love the regular Edmonds book, then you really need this one! 



I was given my copy for my 16th birthday. It was one of those awkward situations where you're given something and it's not what you were expecting or really wanting, and don't know how to react! (There is a lovely note in the front written by my Dad!) But actually now over a decade later, it's one of my favourite cookbooks. The recipes are simple and easy to make, with all your usual favourites and a few new ones thrown in too. (I just did a quick google search- I don't think you can get this cookbook anymore- maybe there's a newer version?!)



I've only just starting getting into making chocolate brownie this year. I used to always end up with either a sticky gooey mess, or a dry crumbly one. I like to try and add a little something extra to the recipe for extra flavour or texture. Usually with a brownie I will add nuts or extra chocolate chips. The last time I made one I thought that it would be really simple to just swap the milk or dark chocolate for white chocolate. And the end result?! A blondie! And to give it that extra something, berries! White chocolate and berries go hand in hand! 




Triple Berry Blondie 

Ingredients

175g butter
250g white chocolate
1 ½ cups plain flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
3 eggs, beaten
1- 1 ½ cups mixed berries (frozen or fresh)

Method

In a medium size saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate on a low heat. 
Once melted, remove from heat and add flour, sugar, vanilla and eggs. 
Mix until you have a smooth mixture. 
Add in the berries and gently fold until evenly distributed. 
Pour into a prepared tin and bake for 180 degrees celsius for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out relatively clean. 
Remove from baking tin when cooled, dust with icing sugar and cut into squares. 



This could easily be adapted to gluten free, just use the flour of your choice. 
The berry mix I used was raspberry, boysenberry and blackberry. You could use a single berry or try something else. 




No comments:

Post a Comment