Tuesday 23 July 2013

Lemon Meringue Slice




I found this recipe back when I was on maternity leave and watched Good Morning everyday on TV! I put it on my Pinterest and thought I'd make it if an occasion presented itself. Then my cousin made a comment that it was really easy AND delicious so I'd thought I would give it a go. If you like things that are a combination of flavours and textures, then you will love this! A nice fluffy meringue top, a smooth creamy lemon centre and a crunchy biscuit base. Also, it's waaaay easier than making a Lemon Meringue Pie, yet essentially tastes the same!







Here's the link to the original recipe.


Lemon Meringue Slice



Ingredients


Base

1 packet malt biscuits, finely crushed
1 tablespoon caster sugar (or regular white sugar)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
175g butter, melted

Filling

1 can of condensed milk
1/2 cup of lemon juice
Grate rind of 2 lemons
2 egg yolks

Meringue Top

2 egg whites
1/c cup caster sugar (again ok to use regular white sugar)

Method:


Base:

Preheat oven to 180C 
Crush up the malt biscuits either in a food processor or inside a plastic bag with a rolling pin. If you are using a food processor, then just whizz all the base ingredients together. If not, put all the base ingredients in to a bowl and mix together. Press into a lined tin. (I have a use-for-anything ceramic dish that is approx 20x20cm and it works well in this size however the recipe originally states a swiss roll tin).

Filling

Grate the lemons (use the fine side of your grater, or zest them if you have a zester!), mix together with all the other ingredients and pour over the base. 

Top:
Beat egg whites until light and fluffy, slowly adding the sugar until it forms soft peaks. Spread carefully over top of the lemon mixture.

Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting (if you can resist it!). 

A few of my own tips and suggestions! 
You could easily make this gluten free if you went for a gluten-free brand of biscuit, but unfortunately I don't think it's possible to make it dairy or egg free!
I also think that you could use a light condensed milk and get the same flavour, with slightly less calories
You can add more or less lemon juice depending on how sweet/tart/lemony you like things
I find it easiest to spoon the meringue over the topping in blobs first, then smooth it together with a knife. This way it stops the meringue merging with the filling. Also, sometimes I forget to add the sugar slowly and dump it all in at the start which still seems to work out ok, just a slightly flatter meringue. 

I'd love to know if anyone else has tried this recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment