Saturday 20 July 2013

The first one...and a recipe for Banana Bread


Welcome! To my first post...I don't really know what to write! Maybe just that I've arrived...or been sucked into exposing my life for the world to see! The main purpose of writing this is really so I can share with other people things that I enjoy doing. I will mostly be posting about recipes that I have tried and made, crafty things I have creating (which at the moment is anything knitted), products I like and books I'm reading. 
So I guess this is it so here goes!


A recipe to start with! I never really thought about Banana Bread as something worth making until earlier this year when I was trying to get my fussy toddler to eat something other than baked beans, fish fingers and anything chocolate flavoured. I figured if it had fruit AND chocolate in it, he might like it. I also had some almond meal hanging around in the back of my pantry so thought I would through that in as well. It ended up being a great success and is pretty much a go to never fail recipe now! You can more or less just through everything together. 






Banana Bread 

(original recipe can be found here

Ingredients

Melted low-fat dairy spread, to grease (I usually just spray everything with non-stick cooking spray)
265g (1 3/4 cups) self-raising flour
40g (1/4 cup) Almond meal/ground almonds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
140g (2/3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
125mL (1/2 cup) milk (original says skim milk, I say use whatever you have!)
2 eggs, lightly whisked
50g butter, melted, cooled
2 overripe bananas 

*optional-
1/2 cup chocolate chips or;
1/4 cup  chopped walnuts or;
1/4 cup chopped dates

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Brush an 11x 21cm (base measurement- but let's be honest, who actually measures their baking pans!) loaf pan with melted dairy spread or spray with non-stick cooking spray to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang. This is important because it will allow you to remove the loaf easily once it's finishing cooking. 

2. Sift the flour, almond meal and cinnamon into a large bowl. The almond meal doesn't really sift well so you could actually just stir in with the sugar at the next step. Stir in the sugar and try to make a well in the centre. Put the eggs, melted butter and banana in a medium bowl, stir until well combined. Add the chocolate chips/walnuts/dates to the banana mixture and stir to combine. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. 

3. Bake in pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in pan for 5 minutes then put on a wire rack to cool completely. Cut to serve. 



If you are self-controlled enough not to eat the whole lot in one go (as it is EXTREMELY) delicious, it freezes really well, just make sure you cut before freezing. Defrost at room temperature or give each slice a quick zap in the microwave. 


No comments:

Post a Comment