Saturday 12 April 2014

Finished Projects: Neutrals Crochet Baby Granny Blanket



I thought I would share with you a blanket I made as a gift for a friend who is having a baby. 





I started doing this while I was in the middle of making this granny blanket while I was deciding on how to join the squares together. Also, I was invited to the baby shower for this lovely friend, and I really wanted to make a gift. This friend had previously admired the first granny baby blanket I made (here) and so I thought she would like her own baby blanket. The colours of the blanket I made for my son are garishly bright, and not normally something I would choose for myself! He however loves them, but I knew I DEFINITELY would not be making a baby blanket for someone else in those colours (unless they REALLY wanted me too!). As you know, I just can't get grey out of my head, so the first colours I thought of were grey and white. Originally I was thinking about doing an identical blanket style to the one I had already made, but because I'm so hooked on granny squares at the moment, I thought I could do a never-ending granny blanket that I could just keep working around, until I made it a suitable size. 




When I went to Spotlight to choose my colours, I picked up three- light grey (my all-time favourite!), dark grey, and a soft buttery yellow. (With the yellow I actually picked a super bright golden yellow, but when I asked my son [he is 2.5] which colour, he picked the lighter yellow). I wanted to start with a yellow centre as I wanted the yellow to be an accent colour rather than the main one. I used the same granny square tutorial I used for my other blanket, instead of ending after 5 rounds as I did with the other one, I just continued on, alternating the colours as I went. Once the blanket measured around 35 inches across, I decided to add a border and edging. This was mainly due to having run out of the  yellow yarn! I made another trip to Spotlight and picked up more yellow, light grey and also a ball of cream. I thought that the cream would work nicely with the yellow but I wasn't 100% sure. One thing I love about crochet is that you can easily change your mind about something if you don't like it. You simply undo it! I had about 3 or 4 goes at the border until I ended up with a colour way I liked. 


The edging I found by googling something like "crochet border" or "crochet edging" and I found this beautiful but simple edging. I didn't want to use scallops because I wasn't that happy with the way the looked on my other blanket, but I wanting something a bit more interesting and finished looking than a straight edge. I reeeallly love the way it turned out. The finished size it around 38" square give or take a little bit!



Once I finished it, I just needed to sew in the threads a block it. I've mentioned before about blocking. For a blanket, its an absolute must. It allows the blanket to lay lovely and flat (especially the border), and relaxes the yarn so it's nice and soft. It also helps to make the blanket nice and straight if its a bit wonky. There are lots of tutorials on the internet on blocking if you need help!

(Please excuse the hideous tea towel and dirt carpet!!!)

I think this is my favourite thing that I've made so far. And isn't there so much joy in making something to give someone else? I also find myself so much more motivated when I am making a gift for someone else. And more likely to try and get things more perfect than usual. 



Happy to report blanket received with love x



 Show & Tell Thursday's

6 comments:

  1. Love it Marie and those colours are so warm and inviting! I'd be shocked if it wasn't well received! gorgeous! and thanks for linking - great to have you play along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm already itching to start another one!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely love granny squares, planning on making a blanket soon with some left over yarn here!
    ~Zhenya
    http://beingzhenya.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to think up another colour combo with the rest of my scraps too!

      Delete
  3. This is simply gorgeous - no wonder it was received so well! I loved watching it come together as you made it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg, I loved making it and so pleased it's gone to an equally lovely owner!

      Delete